This has been a long time coming, but when you are in a 24/7 business with an ever-present and ever-growing list of “to-do’s” some projects get put on the back burner. I am primarily a still photographer, but have previously worked at a documentary film house and have been around video and multimedia production for years. Ever since 2008 when the first Canon 5D mark ii came out with the awesome ability to do HD video still photographers have at least dabbled with video if not fallen head first into video production.
I absolutely love setting up and composing a beautiful piece of video the same way I love setting up and producing a great still image. There are some scenes which translate better into video than a single still frame. I believe in both mediums and am lucky to have tools in my arsenal that can perform both stills and video in a moment’s notice.
After working with video and multimedia for years I know my strong suit is capturing the video and producing. Editing and actually laying out a piece quickly becomes a frustrating task which is why I have to give a big thanks to my friend and close collaborator, Anthony Oyedeji who helped turn a huge archive of video and time lapse clips into something that really sings.
The goal of the reel is to let my clients know that I have the skill and ability to capture & produce video and time lapse pieces, but for me, personally, this short 2-minute reel is something like a movie trailer from the past 5 years of my life.
I promise that every time I complain about being stressed out with work or think I want to just have an “9-5 office job” I will watch this and remember how good I have it.
In this video I was:
- Hanging out at the beach in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Marveling at the splendor of Niagara Falls
- Glued to the window of a bullet train through the snowy forests of southern Germany & Austria
- Shoulder to the wheel, driving through Arizona
- Drifting in a race car with one of my oldest friends
- Partying with Girl Talk, EITS, the legendary DJ Numark, and a crazy Japanese metal band
- Mixing an album of my own music in a recording studio
- Entranced by the lights of Times Square in NYC
- Front and center for a break dancing performance
- Riding on a crazy roller coaster at sunset
- Hanging off a boat in the middle of a river
- On stage during an amazing jazz performance
- Feeling the sun come up in a small German village
- Watching the famed windmills of Amsterdam
- Playing with baby rabbits in rural Ohio
- Watching the world from Table Mountain in South Africa
- Almost touching lions in Africa
- Flying over sand dunes in Qatar
- Driving around downtown Houston at night
Additional thanks to the following people who are either in the piece or accompanied me on some of the adventures: Anthony Oyedeji, Douglas Vickery, Alex Vickery, Pandora Vickery, Heather Broussard, Michael Spoth, Justin Rogers, Rathan Reddy, Sean Lowe, Chris Lue, DJ Numark, Mike BBQ, Steven Phillip, Tori Raba, Robert Seale, The Mountry’s, and everyone else who I forgot. Here’s to 5 more years of crazy adventures and even crazier video!
Make sure you watch, make sure you watch in HD, make sure you share this with friends and make sure you let me know what you think!