2015 represented a lot of change for TSP and myself, but change isn’t always negative, in fact the majority of the change was positive. As we turn the page towards another new year I am excited for whats ahead but must also take the time to reflect on the last year, appreciate the good things, learn from other things and just…get better.
Last year also meant tons of new things as well. I finished up a fresh promo piece in the spring/summer (see the sample spread above) as well as completed my first proper NYC marketing trip. 2015 was also the year of the GIF for me. I had been experimenting with them here and there ever since I first picked up a Fuji X100s (and XT-1) and this year was the year they really took off. I love putting them together and seeing the “wall” continue. Check out the ever-growing GIF wall here: http://toddspothblog.com/gif Simply keep scrolling down to see more. The majority of them are from this year, however there are several that were born from archive material.
I’m going to continue the trend I set for myself last year in the Best of 2014 post, and opt for a bulleted list of favorite or stand out moments of 2015.
- Ringing in the New Year with family on a sailboat in Sydney Harbor.
- Another incredibly unpredictable yet thoroughly eventful SXSW (see feature here: http://toddspothblog.com/sxsw-2015)
- Having a beautiful cover and feature spread in Houstonia Magazine AND a huge double-truck feature in Texas Monthly, both in January.
- Albeit missing a few members, seeing Wu-Tang multiple times in a year.
- Being featured in RESPECT magazine. (see feature here: http://toddspothblog.com/feature-respect-magazine)
- Creating a promo booklet featuring Notorious BIG lyrics. I wonder if I’m the only one?
- Finally upgrading my phone to the Apple iPhone 6s+ and being blown away by the video quality. I have been away from video for a while and this new phone really renewed my passion for video. I put together the video below from a few of my first clips with the phone and an audio track I wrote and recorded myself. Watch in 4K.
- An incredible trip up to Buffalo and upstate New York with my dad and brother to visit family.
- Photographing former Secretary of State James Baker III for Texas Monthly and sitting in the same seat where Ali G interviewed him years ago. (see BTS photos below)
- Seeing Ride, American Football and many more incredible acts at Fun Fun Fun Fest. (see photos here: http://toddspothblog.com/fun-fun-fun-fest-2015)
- Playing golf with one of your favorite rapper’s rapper, Scarface of the legendary Geto Boys.
- Having Ronnie Killen of Killen’s BBQ personally cut you lunch from a slab of brisket. It was the best brisket I’ve had in a very long time. Thanks Ronnie!
- Having Chris Carrabba of Dashboard Confessional compliment my Jawbreaker shirt from the Woodlands Pavillion stage prior to letting me and the rest of the photographers stay to shoot the entire set. (see my video of that moment HERE!)
- Getting to share some new video and a few archival videos from a brand new YouTube account. (subscribe here)
- Continuing to write and record music for my own projects and beyond. Check out the Best of 2015 video at the bottom which features a track I wrote and recorded myself.
- Spending the holidays with family in Prague.
Below you have a grid-based composition of my favorite 100 or so photos from 2015 because you know I love grids. Underneath that is another one featuring several behind the scenes photos from 2015. Many of them were taken by or are of one of my best friends and the best assistant I guy could ask for, Chris. Thanks for always being there and for all of the goofy BTS shots. After that and before the Photoshelter gallery embed, I added a Best of 2015 recap video I put together with a song I wrote and recorded sometime during the fall of 2015. In previous years I have done similar videos exported via SoundSlides, however I wanted to continue my 4K resolution streak, so I opted to put it together in FCPX. All of the 100 or so photos appear chronologically. Watch it in 4K!
I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday season and I hope everyone kills it in 2016! Connect with me on social @toddspoth and say hi!